What is revalidation?
The Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) define Revalidation as “The new process by which nurses and midwives demonstrate that they practice safely”.
At present, nurses and midwives are required to renew their registration every three years. This new revalidation process will strengthen the existing renewal process by introducing new requirements that focus on:
- Keeping up-to-date with practice and professional development (CPD)
- Reflection on the professional standards of practice and behaviour as set out in the new Code (March 2015), and;
- Engagement in professional discussions with other registered nurses or midwives
It will not be an assessment on fitness to practice, but it will be used to promote good practice across the whole population of nurses and midwives. The NMC have also confirmed that this is not intended to address bad practice amongst a select few nurses and midwives.
Why has it been Introduced?
It may be viewed by some as extra work for an already very busy lifestyle at work and at home, but revalidation is being introduced to build further confidence and improve protection with the public, employers and fellow professionals by ensuring that nurses and midwives are up-to-date with their professional practice.
A great opportunity
Think of it as a positive – it’s an opportunity to develop new skills, read up on the latest standards relating to the new Code and ensure that nurses are ‘living’ these standards whilst understanding the changing needs of the public which they serve, and fellow colleagues whom they work with.
How do R Care Support?
R care are taking an industry lead and supporting our nurses through revalidation – something that a lot of agencies aren’t doing. We offer all our nurses access to the RCNI portal which helps you to log information and build your portfolio to add to this we also provide:
- Access to our clinical lead – giving quarterly appraisals
- Actively seek client feedback – an important part in the building of your portfolio
- Offering you access to Continued Professional Development both individually and participatory
- Assistance with your reflective pieces
- We act as your confirmer
- For further information please contact your consultant