We’ve Picked A Charity!
We are proud to announce that we have picked Josie’s Dragonfly Trust as our chosen charity this year.
Who are they?
Josie’s Dragonfly Trust supports young cancer patients with no hope of a cure. They passionately believe in the importance of memory-making and their small team can work extremely quickly to make things happen for families facing limited time together.
They support young palliative patients up to the age of 24 years old and help families and young couples to make precious memories, be in the moment and make the most of the time they have together.
What do they do?
Josie’s Dragonfly Trust give Cash Gifts up to £500 to young patients, offering a sense of independence and enabling them to do something special with their loved ones. At this stage in their illness, each day is taken as it comes, and the cash gives them the freedom to make the most of the days when they feel well enough to go out. Each request is completely different, and they are always humbled by the nature of what they ask for, which often focuses on doing something special for others. This could be the money to buy special parting gifts, help towards a wedding, or simply treating their mum to a spa day.
When the request is for something quite specific that their team can arrange, they call the request a “Dragonfly Dream”.
Recent examples include:
- A meet-and-greet with the Fat Controller and VIP experience at Thomas the Tank Engine Land
- Working with a publisher to get professional copies of a story book made that was written by a nine-year-old whilst she was in hospital
- VIP tickets to the UFC event at the O2 for a young man to have some fun with his best friend
They can put things in place for the family quickly which takes the worry away so all they need to focus on is making the most of that precious time together.
The Trust have had a handful of parents who have come forward a little further down the line who wanted to share their story and you can read these on their website here: http://www.josiesdragonfly.org/what-we-do/case-stories/
How can you help?
In terms of their upcoming events, they have a Hadrian’s Wall walk in September, a team of Great North Runners (with some spare places is anyone is interested!), and their Bollywood Ball at the Gosforth Marriott in November which is their flagship fundraising event.
As they have just relocated to Newcastle, they are also hoping to hold a launch event in the city centre where they can invite various organisations etc to showcase what they do.
If you are feeling generous please donate on their website or text ‘YOLO10’ to 70070 to donate £10.
What we will do to help
- We will place a charity box and pins on reception so that people can donate and/or donate money for a pin
- We will try to take part in as many events as possible, i.e. The Great North Run, but also arrange events ourselves
- We plan to hold 1 event for Josies Dragonfly Trust every 3 months for 12 months
- We will be asking for donations when we hold in-house training sessions and every dress down day in the office
- We will volunteer when we can to help with charity collections